$15 Weekend Project




I decided to be ambitious two weekends ago and finally tackle some projects I've had around for awhile.

With the unseasonably warm weather, I didn't have an excuse for not painting. I decided to prime my armoire-turned craft hutch (pictures to come) and finally paint and re-upholster my sewing chair.

I bought the chair about 3 years ago for $7 on craigslist from a man cleaning out a storage locker. I was living in an apartment in Provo and bought a little sewing machine (complete with table) but I needed a small chair to use with it. It was the right size for what I needed and I figured I could easily fix the ripped seat in my dad's garage. So I got out my trusty little screwdriver from the BYU bookstore and unscrewed the seat from the frame. Aaaaaaannnnnnd....... that's about as far as I got.

A difficult break-up, crazy internet dating stories, a few moves, and a marriage later, it was still haunting me. :)  By now it has been left outside in all kinds of weather, and with metal rods on it (notice the nice rust streak on the seat) and the paint on the frame started to peel away. Three sheets of sandpaper and an arm ache later, I got it all sanded down. I primed it last night with some left-over primer from my armoire/craft hutch project. Today I bought some Rustoleum metallic satin nickel spray paint and painted the frame. I took apart the seat cushion and actually decided to re-use the foam form inside (after going to town on it with my new steam vac.) I used some fabric I had won for free on Listia, and I borrowed a staple gun from a wonderfully helpful neighbor and stapled the cloth on the seat.


Chair = $7 on Craigslist
Paint = $7 at Lowe's
Cloth = Free on Listia
Stapler = Borrowed from a neighbor
Primer and sandpaper = Already had at home for other projects

I like my little $15 sewing chair. :)

No major challenges on this one other than the tedious sanding. Although we did have a mishap where the puppies got out through the garage because I had left the door open a little to ventilate for painting. Oh, and finding out that the stapler I borrowed from my dad didn't work. But we found the puppies and my neighbor was kind enough to let me borrow her stapler last minute, so it's all good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment