What the heck is an Operculum?

When my brother first brought home these swirled beauties from Mexico, I didn't know what they were, but I instantly fell in love.

Green is my favorite color, and I love anything from nature, and anything swirly -- and these are all three!
What is this marvelous thing you ask? They are Snail Shell Operculums. What the heck is an Operculum you ask? Well, I'm glad you asked.

o·per·cu·lum
ōˈpərkyələm/
noun
ZOOLOGYBOTANY
  1. 1.
    a structure that closes or covers an aperture, in particular.

In short, they are a cover for the opening of a sea snail shell. When the tide goes out, the snail uses this awesome little round hobbit-door to keep from drying out!

I am pleased to announce these pendants as new listings in my Etsy Shop! You learn something new every day. :)








I only have one each, since that's how many I pendant backs I have at the moment, so get them while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment