Winter Cider Mug Project

I've been having a lot of fun lately experimenting with my new Silhouette machine, but unfortunately I haven't thought to take pictures until this project. Maybe at some point I'll go back and document some of my other projects, but for now, here is my Winter Cider Mug project.



What you need:



1. A craft cutting machine or a really sharp exact-o knife and really steady hands.
2. THIS shape, which is a snowflake originally cut by me (that you may recognize from THIS post) then cut by my Silhouette out of
3. Contact paper. I like to use the clear kind from Dollar Tree so I can see where I'm placing it and if I have any bubbles.
4. Glass etching cream or a sand blaster
5. Transfer tape
6. A clear glass mug (I got mine at Dollar Tree)

Just save the snowflake image and open it using your Silhouette Studio software and use the Trace option to turn it into a cutting file. (If you need more help on this, there's a great video tutorial HERE)

Then cut off a piece of the clear contact paper and place it on your cutting mat. Use the vinyl cutting setting.

After the shape is cut out, carefully peel just the snowflake out (maybe you could use it for a project similar to THIS?)

Place the transfer tape over the design and rub firmly. Then remove the backing on the contact paper. Place the design on the mug and again rub firmly. Then gently peel off the transfer tape. Rub the contact paper until you can't see any bubbles (especially important if using a sand blaster because the sand will break through anywhere the contact paper isn't right up against the glass and you'll have added etching you didn't ask for.)

Just follow the directions for the etching cream, or go to town with your sand blaster and voila! Just peel off the contact paper and you have a pretty etched mug for all your favorite holiday beverages.



Please let me know in the comments if you have any questions or if I left anything out. This is only my second "tutorial" so I'm still a newbie and any criticism is welcome!



No comments:

Post a Comment